Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Facebook | Twitter | Home RSS


February 12, 2014
Salem News


- Police responded at 7:16 a.m. Tuesday to Oak Street for a line down, finding what appeared to be a cable line laying across a driveway. It appeared the homeowner was aware of it.

- Michael Vrabel, 50, whose last known address was West Wilson Street, was taken into custody at 8:08 p.m. Monday on a warrant from Alliance Police for deception to obtain dangerous drugs. Police had checked for him at his home, then learned he was working at a business on Pennsylvania Avenue and picked him up without incident. He was turned over to Alliance Police.

- Police responded at 7:53 p.m. Monday to the east end of the city on State Street for a report of a truck with no tail lights. An officer initiated a traffic stop and the driver was advised of the problem and immediately corrected the issue with a switch that was accidentally turned off.

- A woman at a residence in the 1000 block of Jennings Avenue asked to speak to an officer at 7:34 p.m. Monday. She was advised the offense in question occurred outside the city and was told to contact local police in the jurisdiction where it occurred.

- A white van was reported running off of the road several times prior to entering the east end of the city at 6:04 p.m. Monday. An officer located the van in the 1900 block of State Street and followed it to the downtown area, with no violations observed. The officer spoke to the driver and determined he was not impaired.

- Nickolas Nelson, of Leetonia, reported at 5:01 p.m. Monday that his vehicle was legally parked unoccupied in a parking lot in the 800 block of West Pershing Street when it was struck by a white vehicle which fled. Minor damage was reported to the left rear bumper area.

- A man called police at 4:50 p.m. Monday to report he saw a vehicle at 9:30 a.m. Sunday which matched the description of a vehicle in an amber alert broadcast on television shortly before he called. Officers gathered information, but learned the amber alert was cancelled 30 minutes after the complaint was filed.

- An officer was dispatched at 4:29 p.m. Monday to the 300 block of South Union Avenue for a man walking in the road who appeared intoxicated. The man said he was walking in the road due to snow-covered sidewalks. He was going to the residence in front of where he was standing.

- Police received a complaint at 2:38 p.m. Monday about a man shortcutting through a parking lot of medical offices in the 2300 block of Southeast Boulevard at 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. to avoid traffic lights. He was reportedly driving recklessly and on Friday, he passed another vehicle in the parking lot. Police located him at his place of business and he admitted to the complaint and was told not to use the lot anymore.

- A man on Franklin Street reported at 2:16 p.m. Monday that he found a fraudulent charge on his bank account for $25.69 in Freeport, N.Y. on Saturday at BJS Fuel.

- A parking complaint was reported at 2:02 p.m. Monday in the 200 block of Vine Avenue. A red warning tag was placed on the vehicle parked close to the alley to the KSU City Center.

- Police were called for two separate drive-offs Monday afternoon at Smith Oil, East State Street, at 12:20 p.m. for an older maroon sedan for $15.01 and at 12:50 p.m. for a teal Ford F-150 pickup for $22.95. The vehicles could not be located.


- Fredda L. Hawkins, 50, Metz Road, reported at 2 p.m. Sunday her vehicle was damaged while parked at Sparkle Market.

- Teresa Piszczek reported at 6:25 p.m. Monday some property was stolen from her rental home owned by a family member.

- James Engel reported at 11:11 p.m. Monday ice on East Friend Street was making it dangerous to drive. A note was left with the street crew to check the area.


- Police were called to an apartment house on West Washington Street at 7:44 p.m. Monday, where Corey Cope reported a woman armed with a rake charged him and his friend and accused them of parking in her spot. Cope said the woman shoved him, so he shoved her back and she fell into the snow. The woman, later identified as Lisa Odey, was intoxicated and very hard to follow and changed her story four times. Odey was advised to just go to bed. Odey called at 9:31 p.m. to say she was assaulted when pushed into the snow and began rambling. She was told to call back when she sobers up. Odey was also warned if she called back before then she would be charged.

- An elderly Lisbon woman reported Friday being the victim of a lottery scam after getting a call saying she had won $500,000 from an international sweepstakes out of Florida. The woman called the number provided and the people told her she needed to wire them money to cover the taxes and fees before her winnings could be released. She ended up sending a total of $12,500 via Western Union to three people in Manila, Philippines. The same people called back to say they needed more money for attorney fees and then a package would be sent to the Cleveland Airport, which she found out was untrue.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web