Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Facebook | Twitter | Home RSS


January 3, 2014
Salem News


- Terry Faulk reported at 9:18 p.m. Tuesday someone just dropped off three boys at Smith Oil and he suspects they may be runaways from the Rogers Honor Farm. Police Chief Mike Abraham checked the area but was unable to locate the youths.

- George Burke, North Jefferson Street, reported Dec. 25 his neighbors have been driving through his yard to get to their driveway, and the officer attempted to contact the neighbors but was unsuccessful. The officer did not see any evidence of anyone driving through Burke's yard.

- The security alarm went off at the Columbiana County Municipal Court building at 9:48 a.m. Wednesday, and the officer spoke with the cleaning staff, who said the building was secure.

- The security alarm went off at the county elections board office at 10:42 a.m. Tuesday, and an officer arrived to find the building secure. The maintenance man was on his way to reset the alarm.

- Melissa Gentry, Cross Street, reported Dec. 25 the iPhone she bought for her daughter was missing from her house and was last seen three days before.


Brendann McNeal reported at 2:44 a.m. Wednesday he was at the Tic Toc on state Route 14 and wanted to turn himself in on a warrant he had through Austintown police. Police picked him up and took him to the station where he was turned over to an officer from Austintown.

- A woman reported at 6:14 p.m. Wednesday the front door of a home on Fairfield Avenue was open.


- A man staying at a residence on Pearce Circle reported at 4 a.m. Thursday that he found numerous fresh footprints in the snow around the home and also found a shed door open with footprints leading into the shed. He did not know if anything was missing. He was told to have the owner call if anything is missing. He also said he believed the people struck the driver side of his Jeep parked in the driveway, causing a small dent.

-Officers located a vehicle in Centennial Park after hours at 1:05 a.m. Thursday, but were unable to find anyone.

-A domestic dispute was reported at 9:46 p.m. Wednesday in the 700 block of East Fifth Street where a man said he and his girlfriend had an argument and she left.

- An officer at 9:32 p.m. Wednesday saw a vehicle parked in the lot of a closed business and learned the vehicle was disabled. Assistance was already on the scene.

- An officer spoke to a person at 9:28 p.m. Wednesday regarding drug activity in the city. The information will be forwarded to the Columbiana County Drug Task Force.

- Police responded at 8:20 p.m. Wednesday to the 100 block of North Lundy Avenue for a report of a suspicious person near the dumpsters of a business. An officer made contact with the person who said he had permission to take things from the dumpster. An employee of the business confirmed he had permission.

- A woman at 7:05 p.m. Wednesday wanted a family member removed from the home in the 400 block of East Seventh Street. The family member called for a ride and left.

- Michael Jones, of the 700 block of Superior Avenue, reported at 7:04 p.m. Wednesday that someone entered his vehicle, but nothing appeared missing.

- An officer at 6:04 p.m. Wednesday saw a vehicle parked at the deadend of Superior Avenue in Waterworth Memorial Park with no lighted lights, the windows iced over and occupied by two people. When contacted, the two people said they were just talking.

- A man on South Union Avenue reported at 5:07 p.m. Wednesday that he had an ad on Craig's List to sell his vehicle and got a response from a person in Arlington, Texas who sent a check for $1,950 with instructions for him to send the $300 overpayment back to the buyer. A bank employee alerted the man that the check was fake prior to him cashing it. The report said this is a common scam that was fortunately prevented prior to the man sustaining any loss. The man sent a text message to the contact number for the suspect buyer about the check being fake and never received a response.

- An officer saw a vehicle illegally parked with the left side to the curb on East Fourth Street at 4:59 p.m. Wednesday. The vehicle was moved.

- An officer at 4:56 p.m. Wednesday saw two people use a private apartment complex parking lot as a shortcut from East Fourth Street to East Fifth Street and told them to stop due to ongoing complaints from residents at the complex. They apologized and said they would go around in the future.

- An audible alarm was heard at 4:41 p.m. Wednesday, with the building examined and found secure.

- Police responded to the 200 block of East Eighth Street at 4:42 p.m. Wednesday for information posted on the exterior of a residence pertaining to a previous incident. Nothing was found posted outside. Dispatch was told to contact the Sheriff's Office to obtain the information.

- Cheryl Knauf, of the 600 block of East Eighth Street, reported at 3:44 p.m. Wednesday that someone entered her garage and went through vehicles inside, along with a vehicle in the driveway and one parked on the street. The only thing missing was some change. A resident across the street reported their vehicle was also entered, with nothing missing.

- An officer at 2:35 p.m. Wednesday met with a woman on station who had questions regarding family matters. She just wanted her options.

- A man in the 200 block of Vine Avenue reported at 2:26 p.m. Wednesday that three males assaulted him outside his apartment. He had visible injuries to his face and head and there was damage done to the apartment. One of the males was located and said there was a fight between him and the man. He said the others were not involved. The case is under investigation.

- Police were called at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday to the 800 block of West State Street for a person to be removed. A man said he's in the process of moving his business from the current location and he wanted the property owner to leave until he has moved out on the 15th of the month. Officers spoke to both involved and an agreement was reached so there would be no more problems.

- An officer at 12:23 p.m. Wednesday met with a mother and daughter from East 10th Street who advised they have filed complaints before about feeling they weren't being treated right at various locations in the city. The officer said he could hardly do anything about not feeling right, but would keep an eye on areas to see if he could witness what was going on.

- An officer on patrol at 11:42 a.m. Wednesday was flagged down and told about criminal damage on one of the fields at Salem High School off of F.E. Cope Drive. A possible suspect vehicle was found at the rear of a North Lincoln Avenue property with mud all over it. A woman and her boyfriend both said they didn't do the damage. The man said he didn't notice any mud on the vehicle when he started the car and left earlier.

- Jayme McNicol and John Lutsch, of the 700 block of Superior Avenue, reported at 7:56 a.m. Wednesday that someone entered their vehicles and removed CDs and broke the door handle on the Lutsch vehicle. The interior lights were left on. Officers followed some footsteps in the snow but then lost them in the street.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web