SALEM - A two-story home on East Third Street sustained heavy damage after a chimney fire spread into the walls and attic late Friday night, with no injuries reported.
A resident at the home at 944 E. Third St. owned by Andy Cook called at 9:59 p.m. to report the chimney on fire. The family was alerted by a smoke alarm.
According to the Salem Fire Department report, smoke was escaping from around the window sills and in the attic area beside a
metal chimney when firefighters arrived. Fire was inside the west wall of the home from where the metal chimney exited the side of the house and ran up to the top of the house.
Firefighters opened up the affected walls and ceilings on the west side of the home to fully extinguish the fire and to check for the fire spreading. Once the fire was under control, all material was removed from inside the wood burner.
The metal chimney was taken apart and inside there appeared to be a large amount of creosote buildup. The wood burner also appeared excessively large for the home, the report said. Failure to clean was listed as a contributing factor to ignition, with the cause still under investigation.
The home was insured. Damages were estimated at $20,000 for the property and $10,000 for the contents.
Firefighters remained on the scene until 12:54 a.m. Saturday. Perry Township firefighters also responded with mutual aid.