Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Facebook | Twitter | Home RSS


March 8, 2013
Salem News


- Carl Cope of Cherry Street called at 2:38 p.m. Thursday to report a hit/skip in the parking lot of Quaker City Castings in the 300 block of Euclid Street. He found what appeared to be rubber marks on his door and a large dent.

- A man in the 200 block of Vine Avenue reported at 1:37 p.m. Thursday that he was told another male was looking for him and he was concerned something more could develop.

- A juvenile probation officer at 11:29 a.m. Thursday located a missing juvenile in the 100 block of East Second Street. Police took custody of the boy and took him to the Salem Junior High School. His mother was notified and told he was in school.

- A man on Pershing Street reported at 11:19 a.m. Thursday that there was some suspicious activity at his home.

- A woman in the 400 block of East Eighth Street reported a possible prowler at the rear of her property at 11:27 p.m. Wednesday. Officers did not find anyone.

- A woman in the 900 block of East Third Street reported at 10:48 p.m. Wednesday that she had been receiving unwanted harassing/threatening text messages from a man known to her. An officer planned to contact the man.

- A woman in the 1000 block of East Third Street reported at 9:19 p.m. Wednesday that her husband and son were involved in a verbal dispute with an alleged altercation. The juvenile son left before officers arrived and was listed as a runaway in the law enforcement data base. While police were talking to the woman, her husband had a seizure and was taken to Salem Community Hospital.

- Police were called at 8:18 p.m. Wednesday to the 300 block of Sharp Avenue for an intoxicated man allegedly threatening to harm himself. He had suffered minor injuries after falling in the bathroom, a witness said. He was taken to Salem Community Hospital by EMT.

- A man in the 200 block of East Third Street reported at 7:46 p.m. Wednesday that he was receiving harassing text messages from a known female which were the result of an earlier argument between roommates at his residence. Officers spoke to several people and learned there was no more problem.

- A woman in the 700 block of East Fourth Street spoke to police at 6:34 p.m. Wednesday regarding juveniles in the neighborhood harassing her son and throwing snowballs at him. Officers spoke to the people involved and told them to stay away from each other.

- Police responded to the 500 block of South Union Avenue for a report at 6:05 p.m. Wednesday of a possible computer scam. Officers saw a woman's computer and a message on it that claimed the computer had been locked by the FBI and told the computer's owner that in order to unlock the computer, a payment of $200 would have to be made via a Green Dot Money Pack. The message was clearly a scam, possibly attached to a virus or spyware. Several misspelled words were noted in the body of a disclaimer. The woman was told the computer was likely infected and would need to be repaired by a computer specialist.

- Police were called at 5:53 p.m. Wednesday to a residence in the 600 block of Fair Avenue for a juvenile problem. A male juvenile from previous reports said he had run away on Sunday and was staying with friend due to his dad not wanting him and behaving violently. The juvenile was taken home where his father said he did not want him because he was trying to move back to Maine. After some discussion, the boy was taken back to the Fair Avenue residence with permission of the father, who was to follow the procedure for relinquishing custody.

- The manager of a store in the Salem Plaza in the 2300 block of East State Street called at 5:48 p.m. Wednesday to report two females possibly shoplifting. She did not observe anyone conceal anything but was concerned about the amount of time they were spending in the store. An officer made contact with one of the women after seeing her place items on the shelf from her buggy. She was escorted to the front of the store and asked if she had any items concealed. She said she did not, paid for her items and was told not to return. The other woman also denied taking anything, paid for her items and was told not to return.

- A woman in the 900 block of Summit Street reported at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday that a family member used her credit card online to purchase an item worth $253 without her permission. She wanted to know her options.

- An anonymous caller at 5:04 p.m. Wednesday reported an intoxicated male on East Pershing Street and Park Avenue, but he could not be found.

- Police responded to South Ellsworth Avenue at 4:45 p.m. Wednesday to speak to a person who allegedly had information on a missing juvenile, but the person denied any knowledge.

- Police issued no citation and noted that fault would be determined by the insurance companies after a two-vehicle accident on Lincoln Avenue near Sugartree Alley at 3:03 p.m. Wednesday in which the drivers each felt the other was at fault. Scott Tuel, 44, of Bricker Farms Lane, claimed to be driving his car south in the right lane with the intention of continuing south after the intersection of State Street when he said another southbound vehicle on his left in the middle of the lane turned right into the side of his vehicle near the alley. The other driver, Rohn Riley, 58, of Fair Avenue, claimed he was driving his truck south and intended to turn right into the alley. He said after he started his turn, with his right signal on, the car tried to pass him on the right and struck him on the left front of the truck.

- Terri Hoperich, 50, of Plymouth Place reported at 2:41 p.m. Wednesday that she was driving a pickup east on Cleveland Street and attempted to turn right onto Union Avenue and failed to see the traffic bell in the curb lawn, striking it with the right side of the pickup. No citation was issued. The pickup sustained damage to the rocker panel and door.

- A man in the 1100 block of Newgarden Avenue reported at 2:27 p.m. Wednesday that he received a credit card statement for a credit card he never used and learned $1,561 had been charged in the last month. He's working with the credit card company.

- Charity Riggs, whose last known address was Oak Street, came to the police station at 2:05 p.m. Wednesday to turn herself in for an outstanding warrant. A warrant out of the Columbiana County Sheriff's Office for theft was found and she was turned over to a deputy.

- Mary Dobbs, of East Fifth Street, reported at 1:02 p.m. Wednesday that she parked her vehicle in her assigned space in the car port on Tuesday and when she came out the next day, she discovered damage to the left front wheel cover and left lower fender area.

- John S. Brown, 29, whose last known address was Continental Drive, was charged with disorderly conduct after a police officer saw him punching the dashboard and yelling and cursing inside a vehicle at the Shell gas station Wednesday morning. Police had been called to the Continental Drive residence at 9:56 a.m. for a domestic where a woman wanted him removed after he was intoxicated and acting in a threatening manner. Police could not make him leave since he was living there. There were no signs of violence and he was told to calm down and cease his behavior. Police were called back to the residence after he allegedly threw a vase and was punching doors. The woman was going to take him to a homeless shelter in Youngstown and he was again warned. After they left and stopped at the gas station, an officer saw his behavior, ordered him out of the vehicle and placed him into custody.

- Maurice Brown, whose last known address was Cleveland, was charged with possession of marijuana after officers responded to an East Third Street property at 9:38 a.m. Wednesday with the U.S. Marshal's Violent Fugitive Task Force checking for a wanted person. A vehicle arrived and one of the persons looked like the wanted man, but was found not to be him. When he stepped out of the vehicle, a small plastic baggie containing marijuana was sticking out of his pocket.

- Miguel Moreno, 30, of Ellwood City, Pa., was cited for no lighted headlights and possession of marijuana after a traffic stop at 11:27 p.m. Tuesday on North Lincoln Avenue. The driver voluntarily produced a marijuana joint from his front pants pocket, the report said.

- Paul Cline, 41, of Canton, was cited for failure to yield, no operator's license and leaving the scene of an accident at 12:20 p.m. Monday related to a hit/skip accident which occurred on Feb. 27 on State Street in front of Walmart. A vehicle driven by Cathy Nyktas, 57, of Leetonia, was eastbound on State Street when a vehicle failed to yield and attempted to exit the Walmart parking lot onto State Street, striking the Nyktas vehicle and fleeing the scene. The Nyktas vehicle had to be towed from the scene due to damage to the right front wheel. The front license plate of the fleeing vehicle was recovered.


- An officer on patrol at 8:34 p.m. Wednesday on North Egypt Road at East Pine Lake Road saw a yellow vehicle parked in a private pull-off area that has a gated access road. The officer pulled up and activated his spotlight and rear emergency lights and saw a male and female returning to the vehicle from the opposite side of the gate. They were identified and asked why they were there. They said they were visiting Cry Baby Bridge, an area that has developed a reputation for being a place where ghosts can be heard and is popular with young people. They were told it's private property and not to return.

- Police were called at 7:03 p.m. Wednesday to respond to a 911 call of a domestic on Springdale Street between a parent and a 16-year-old male. After an investigation, the juvenile was taken into custody and transported to the Tobin Center.

- Police were called to assist the Columbiana County Sheriff's Office and U.S. Marshals at 10:46 a.m. Wednesday in the 200 block of Plymouth Place where a female was taken into custody by the U.S. Marshals on a warrant.

- An officer responded to a call at 2:53 a.m. Wednesday of a domestic dispute between a couple on Apple Street arguing over a pending separation. No violence or threats occurred, with both agreeing to go to separate rooms for the night.


-John from county juvenile court called at 12:10 p.m. Wednesday because there were youths who had set up a portable basketball hoop in the parking lot and were playing again after having been asked in the past not to do this.

- A caller reported a manhole cover had popped up on Rose Drive near the Fleming House at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

-A resident reported Wednesday using her debit card to purchase $15 in gas at the Valley View, but when she checked online she determined she had been billed for $125. The manager of the Valley View was contacted and indicated they would take care of it.

- A loud music complaint was received on South Lincoln Avenue at 10:22 p.m. Wednesday. Police arrived and spoke to a resident, who agreed to turn down the music.


- A plow truck cleaning the Lantern Square apartments parking lot backed into a vehicle located in a carport at 8:33 a.m. Wednesday. No citations were issued.

- Someone reported at 3:26 p.m. Wednesday a nine-year-old was having a conflict with the babysitter at a South Middle Street home. The child's parents were notified.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web