SALEM TOWNSHIP -An electrical fire Saturday night damaged a room at Howard's Motel on state Route 45, making it uninhabitable by the tenant.
According to Winona's assistant fire Chief George Brantingham, an electrical box shorted out in the bedroom area of the unit, and fire caused minimal damage to the attic, with smoke damage throughout the room.
"We caught it pretty quick," Brantingham said of the fire.
Morning Journal/Patti Schaeffer
Firefighters from Winona and Leetonia were called to Howard’s Motel on state Route 45 in Salem Township Saturday night after an electrical fire damaged a room, making it uninhabitable for the tenant.
The motel is owned by Thomas Ketchum of Lisbon, and the tenant was Robert Kaiser, who was not able to stay in the room last night since electrical power had to be turned off, Brantingham said.
In addition, the chief said the room will need some remodeling before Kaiser can return.
He said Ketchum indicated the motel is insured.
Winona sent two trucks and was assisted by Leetonia, which sent three trucks. Each department responded to the scene with 10 firefighters.