LISBON - The first dilapidated and abandoned homes to be demolished with state fundings could be less than two months away if everything works out.
Columbiana County Commissioner John Payne reported this week they are currently looking for a firm to perform asbestos inspections and elimination of the homes, which must occur before they are razed.
If a firm is hired within the next several weeks to do the asbestos work, a legal advertisement seeking bids from contractors wanting to demolish the houses could be published by the end of month.
The county received $500,000 from the Ohio Attorney General to do this. The money represents a portion of what Ohio received from a nationwide settlement with five mortgage companies that were sued by states for fraudulent and deceptive lending practices.
Payne, who was put in charge of the program for commissioners, invited communities to submit a prioritized list of dilapidated homes they want demolished, with the promise that the first five homes would be demolished within each community, regardless of size.
How many homes get razed ultimately depends on the costs of asbestos elimination and demolition. Payne said asbestos inspections and elimination can cost between $700 to $1,200 per house, and the demolition cost will be known once bids are received.
"We'll have to see what the bids are. You may be able to do only four per community instead of five," Payne said. "Everyone who applies will get something done."
A total of 197 homes were submitted for demolition, with half submitted by Salem (46) and East Liverpool (53). The following is a list of the first five homes submitted for demolition by community, where applicable because not every applicant submitted five homes:
* 29891 Buck; 5063 Whinnery; 5067 Whinnery; 2374 Valley; 28169 Route 62.
* 35146 Lisbon-Dungannon; 37535 Saltwell; 11160 Trinity Church.
* 4590 Homeworth; 3320 Lake.
* 1078 Anderson; 1325 Park Boulevard East; 1376 Clark; 812 Hollywood Avenue; 1431 John Campbell.
* 44637 Cream Ridge; 44208 Y & O; 13721 East Liverpool; 42607 Route 518.
* 50557 Southern; 47553 Riffle; 8238 Vale; 49377 Pancake-Clarkson; 51023 Walnut.
* 1217 Beechwood; 1016 Pidgeon; 1726 Route 344.
* 34951 Golf Club.
St. Clair Township
* 18801 Cornell; 48838 Bloomfield; 48333 Huston.
* 26846 Route 172; 23266 Bayard; 10515 Bayard.
* 320 Lisbon; 537 Pittsburgh; 111 North Elm.
* 2998 Canal; 30046 Canal; two properties on Canal without addresses; 30201 Clinton.
* 63 West Rebecca; 873 West Main; 201 & 205 Park; 213 West Clark; 219 East Main.
* 303 Columbia; 420 Columbia; 240 State; 151 High; 64 Hazel.
* 336 South Lincoln; 40353 Route 154; 40385 Route 154; 252 West High; 264 West Washington.
* 1726 Clark; 307 First; 1111 Center; 323 Eleventh; 458 Fourteenth.
* 109 or 111 East Main; 176 East Main; 501 Water; 222 East Main;
* 728 Avondale; 437 Ogden; 117 Thompson; 1854 Harvey; 615 West Ninth.
* 150 South Lincoln; 524 Columbia; 408 West Pershing; 414 West Pershing; 179 Hawley.