LISBON - The county Educational Service Center continues to seek applicants for the open position on the board.
The new board member must be a resident from one of the county's local school districts. Superintendent Anna Marie Vaughn said the local school districts are Southern, Beaver, United, Crestview and Wellsville.
Those interested in applying are asked to send a letter of interest to Treasurer Cindy Lengyel by Sept. 24. The board will review the applicants and name a replacement at a special meeting, which will be announced.
The board normally meets monthly and did so on Monday. The board had met on Sept. 10 to approve the resignation of board member Christina Phillips and begin the process of asking for applicants. On Monday, Vaughn indicated applicants are still needed a week later.
The position will serve until Jan. 1, 2014 and the newly chosen board member can then decide whether to run for re-election at the general election in November 2013. Phillips' term was set to expire in November 2013.
In other matters before the board:
- Approved the service contracts with Salem, East Palestine, Lisbon, Columbiana and Southern Local for this school year.
- Accepted the resignation of Ashley Kekel, who was an intervention teacher assigned to Salem schools and has now taken a position there. Michelle Bryan will be hired as the new intervention specialist in Salem .
- Chose Dr. Marcia Matanin to present physical education teachers in the county with the new PE content standards.
- Approved Harry Musser as the coordinator for crisis intervention training.
- Voted to employ Kimberly Schafer as an occupational therapy assistant, Carol DelFlore as an interpreter and Jacki Dalonzo as the truant officer for Southern Local.