Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Facebook | Twitter | Home RSS


September 10, 2012
Salem News


- Justin Dinbali, 24, of 1533 Quaker Lane, was charged with domestic violence after police were called at 3:30 a.m. Sunday to the Quaker Lane residence for a domestic in progress. They were met outside by a man who reported his stepson was intoxicated and threatening him and his wife with physical harm and also threatened to burn the house down. The report said Dinbali was verbally abusive to officers and did put up some resistance during the arrest. He was taken to the Columbiana County jail. In an earlier report at 11:08 p.m. Saturday, Dinbali wanted to speak to an officer in the area of North Lincoln Avenue and East Third Street regarding a previous incident which had occurred in the 200 block of East Second Street at a business. According to the report of the previous incident at 9:08 p.m. Saturday, police were called to the business for a man with a gun. A woman reported a man known to her threatened to bring a gun to the business and left. After receiving a description of the vehicle, police made a traffic stop and talked to the occupants who denied the allegation. Officers searched the vehicle, but did not locate any type of firearm. All were told their options. Police were called back to the business at 10:38 p.m. for a dispute that was a continuation of the earlier complaint. Officers separated both sides and they were told their options.

- Arthur E. Carpenter, of Newark, was charged with disorderly conduct after police were called at 1:49 a.m. Sunday for a man lying on the sidewalk on North Lundy Avenue at East Third Street. Officers attempted contact several times and he eventually came to and appeared to be highly intoxicated. Officers assisted him to his feet and he was very unsteady, with his speech slurred. After being taken to the police station, he complained of back pain from previous injuries. Fire department first responders and EMT Ambulance responded and he was taken to Salem Community Hospital, where he was served with the charge. After his release, he was taken to the Columbiana County jail.

- A resident in the 1600 block of Shady Lane reported at 11:27 p.m. Saturday that an unknown person knocked on his door and was gone when he went to open it. Nobody could be found in the area.

- Loud music was reported in the 800 block of Homewood Avenue at 10:21 p.m. Saturday, but officers found the area quiet.

- Police were called at 10:19 p.m. Saturday for an unwanted person at a residence in the 1200 block of South Lincoln Avenue. The person left before officers arrived.

- Police responded to a business in the 1700 block of East State Street after getting a call at 9:31 p.m. Saturday for a reported verbal altercation between two men. Officers spoke with a security officer who interrupted the altercation and said the two men left the business without incident.

- Police were called to check South Broadway Avenue at 9:22 p.m. Saturday for a female contemplating suicide. Officers checked the area at the request of another agency but did not find the female nor a vehicle.

- Police were called to the 100 block of East Fourth Street Saturday night for an alleged parking violation, but determined the vehicle to be on private property. The man who called had not realized the vehicle owner was actually visiting his residence.

- A dog was reported at large in the 1400 block of Buckeye Circle at 7:48 p.m. Saturday. The dog's owner was contacted with help from several neighbors and said he did not realize the dog had gotten out. He was going to remedy the situation.

- Roberta Saum, 51, of 448 Aetna St., was charged with assured clear distance after her westbound vehicle on East State Street collided at 3:18 p.m. Saturday with the rear of another westbound vehicle driven by Anthony Cairns, 19, of Salem-Alliance Road, who was stopped in traffic at North Madison Avenue. Cairns and his passenger, Roger Pitts, 19, of Beloit, was both taken to Salem Community Hospital with minor injuries. Saum declined treatment, but her passenger, Joshua Monday, 32, also of Aetna Street, was taken to Salem Community Hospital for treatment of minor injuries.

- A woman in the 400 block of South Lincoln Avenue reported at 3:04 p.m. Saturday that she was in the process of gathering her belongings from her residence when her boyfriend became upset that she was leaving and pushed her into her vehicle, ripped the radio from the dashboard and pulled some wires from under the hood of her vehicle. The information will be forwarded to the Columbiana County Prosecutor's Office.

- Paul Bambeck of New Waterford reported at 1:31 p.m. Saturday that sometime between Tuesday and Saturday, someone unknown removed a utility trailer from the back field of a business in the 1400 block of Quaker Circle. It was in a pamphlet for an auction coming at the end of the month at the location and a lock on the ball was missing. There were tracks of the trailer being pulled out, but none could be seen out on the road.

- Police responded to a parking complaint at 12:40 p.m. Saturday in the area of North Broadway and East Third Street where a sign prohibiting parking had been removed due to construction. The vehicle will be moved and the sign will be replaced.

- A woman on Arch Street called at 11:04 a.m. Saturday to report receiving a harassing phone call from a private number where the male caller made a threat of violence. She said others in her family have received similar threats within the last couple of days and it may stem from a recent family situation.

- Police were called at 10:50 a.m. Saturday to the 800 block of Prospect Street to check for a woman walking in the street and talking to passing cars. Nobody was found.

- Steven Altomare, 48, of 1240 Conser Drive, was cited for failure to yield after stopping at a stop sign on North Broadway and pulling into the intersection at North Broadway Avenue and East Third Street and striking an eastbound vehicle on Third Street driven by Andrea Merriman, 22, of Youngstown at 10:09 a.m. Saturday.

- City Parks Foreman Jim Grimm reported at 9:38 a.m. Friday that a walker in Waterworth Memorial Park reported seeing people taking metal chain link fencing from the storage area in the 800 block of East School Street. The witness provided him with a description of the van and a license plate number. The rolled fencing was being stored there for possible later use and was the property of the Salem Parks Department. Officers on patrol spotted the vehicle at a local scrap yard and identified the persons responsible. Charges are pending once the investigation is complete.

Salem Township REPORTS

- Crystal Hostetter, Lisbon Canfield Road, Salem, reported at 2:28 p.m. Saturday she and her husband argued and he took off with their 1- and 2-year-old children. The constable explained because they are married, living together and he is the father of the children, he is entitled to take them unless there is no court order prohibiting him from doing so.


- Ashley M. Rosenburg, 19, of Niles was charged with failure to yield from a stop sign, leaving the scene of an accident and operating a vehicle under the influence after a two-vehicle accident at the intersection of Georgetown Road and state Route 45 at 3:37 a.m. Sunday. The report said Rosenburg was eastbound on Georgetown Road and stopped at the stop sign at the state Route 45 bypass then proceeded into the intersection, striking a vehicle driven by Christian Ketchum, 19, of Salem, in the right rear corner. The collision caused the Ketchum vehicle to skid and then rollover onto its roof. Rosenburg fled the scene, but returned a short time later in another vehicle and allegedly admitted to causing the accident. Her vehicle was found near the intersection of Georgetown Road and Hartley Road. She was taken to the Columbiana County jail.

- Police were called at 1:18 p.m. Saturday for a medical situation in the 1300 block of Georgetown Road. Police stood by while EMT Ambulance personnel treated and transported the person.

- Police were called at 12:23 p.m. Saturday to the 200 block of Apple Street for a report of a loose dog chasing people up and down the street. The owner was contacted and said the children let the dog out and couldn't get him to come back inside. The owner was told by police to keep the dog on a leash when it's outside.

- A resident in the 1800 block of Countryside Drive called at 8:29 a.m. Saturday to report unknown people knocking on windows and doors. When they looked outside, nobody was there. Police checked the area around the house and found no signs of anyone.

- Police on patrol saw an open overhead door at Plibrico Mfg. on South Lincoln Avenue at 1:59 a.m. Saturday. An officer checked the interior but was unable to obtain entry into the offices. A keyholder was contacted and another keyholder responded to secure the building, noting it must have been employee negligence. The interior was re-checked and nothing appeared disturbed.

- Police were called at 6:58 a.m. Friday for a suspicious vehicle sitting in the 1800 block of Hunt Road. An officer spoke to the occupant, who was identified as an employee working for a repo company.


-A Smith Oil employee reported at 8:26 p.m. Friday a $15 drive-off by a young man wearing a ball cap in a dark green pickup. Police were able to determine the truck is registered to a 55-year-old Cusick Road man, but the telephone number has been disconnected.

- A Save A Lot employee reported at 10:47 a.m. Saturday someone told them several of their shopping carts are behind a home on North Vine.

- KLG reported at 7:58 p.m. Saturday a man called threatening to harm himself and they sent an ambulance to his home on North Market. At 11:14 p.m. Saturday, Leetonia police reported the same man called them asking for them to send the sheriff. At 11:24 p.m. Saturday, the sheriff's department reported the same man had called them six times requesting they come to his home, because he did not want Lisbon police. At 12:57 a.m. Sunday, Salem police reported the same man was calling and requesting he be sent to jail. Finally, at 1:14 a.m. Sunday, KLG reported he had called again two times reporting he was trapped and wanted to go to jail, but would not tell them where he was at that time.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web