LISBON - The 45th Johnny Appleseed Festival is set to get under way this weekend, with a few new twists to go along with all things apple.
For the first time, there will be a pedal tractor pull contest for children of all ages, to be held from 2:15 to 5 p.m. Sunday in the Train Station parking lot. Marilyn McCullough, director of the Lisbon Chamber of Commerce, which hosts the JAF, said pedal tractor pulls are popular elsewhere and they are adding the event in the hope it will prove popular with JAF attendees.
The contest is sanctioned by the National Pedal Pullers Association, which will run the event.
McCullough reported the popular pet parade is back (12:45 p.m. Sunday) but this year pets will be encouraged to perform, with prizes awarded for the best tricks.
"The pet parade is for all ages. It was a big hit last year," she said.
Stevie Halverstadt is opening up the renovated Hamilton Building during the JAF to display the works of local artists, and a photography show will again be held in tents near the United Methodist Church.
There will still be amusement rides for children, and a large number of food and craft vendors will be on hand. In fact, McCullough said more vendors have signed up to attend this year than at any point during her five-year involvement with the JAF.
"Vendors are telling vendors they need to be at this festival," she said.
There will also be live entertainment both days, a junior/senior high school art show display in the window of Fashion Forward, and elementary school art show display in the window of Geronimo Hardware and Birch Realty.
The theme for this year's JAF grand parade is "100 years of Girl Scouting" in recognition of the organization's centennial birthday in 2012. The grand marshal will be an 86-year-old local woman who is still active with the Girl Scouts.
And of course, there will be apple butter, apple fritters and apple dumplings.
Following is schedule of events and times
- 5K Run, 9 a.m.
- Queens Breakfast at the New Lisbon Presbyterian Church, 9 a.m.
- Grand Parade, 11 a.m.
- Crowning of the JAF Queen and Little Miss Apple Blossom and Little Mr. Apple Bud, noon at the main stage in the parking lot behind Morgan's Drug Store.
- 50s Car Cruise in the former Quinn Chevrolet parking lot, noon to 4 p.m.
- Quaker Carvers spinning demonstration, the "Balloon Man," and local artist Joe Morenz, all occurring near the gazebo from 2 to 6 p.m.
-Fall Fashion Show, with fashions provided by Fashion Forward, 2 p.m. near the gazebo.
- Free games for children, 2 to 4 p.m.
- Stage Left performance, 2:45 p.m.
- Bettie Lee Dance Studio performance, 3:30 p.m.
- Apple pie backing contest at the gazebo, 4 p.m.
- Mike Palm performance, 4:30 p.m.
- 7 Percent Superstar performance, 8-11 p.m.
- Church service at the Lisbon Assembly of God, 11 a.m.
- Loving God Quartet, noon.
- Pet Parade 12:45 p.m.
- Annual JAF Bike Show at the Lisbon VFW, with a performance by Tribute, 1-4 p.m.
- Lisbon Community Chorus, 1:30 p.m.
- Pedal Tractor Pull in the Train Station parking lot, 2:15-5 p.m.
- Ron & Ali performance, 2:30 p.m.
- Apple Ice Cream Eating Contest, 3:15 p.m.
- Borderline performance, 3:30-5:30 p.m.
- The Original Pure Gold Band, 6-8 p.m.