Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Facebook | Twitter | Home RSS

Beaver Local falls to .500

September 1, 2012
Salem News

CALCUTTA - Crestview used their feet, while Beaver Local shot themselves in the foot.

The Rebels extended their two-touchdown halftime lead on the legs of running backs Nick Blower and Matt Hardenbrook to easily bounce the Beavers, 31-6 Friday night.

The game was within reach for the home team as Coach Jeremy McElroy and the Beaver boys could have the game within one score after opening the second half.

Article Photos

Beaver Local's Dan Lattanzio is tackled by a host of Crestview defenders on Friday. (Photo by David Grimes)

From their own 17-yard line, Beaver Local's Phillip Beohm tossed a pass to Justin Britt who scurried down the right sideline for the explosive third quarter touchdown. But, a holding call negated the points and brought the ball all

the way back to the Beavers' own 5-yard line.

After a run, Beaver Local had to punt the ball away.

For the first-year head coach, it was a laundry-list of items that doomed the Beavers.

"Assignment breakdown, penalties and a lack of execution losing our composure throughout the game," McElroy said. "We didn't execute and they did, plain and simple. That's why they won. We didn't execute and things broke down."

Beaver Local defensive penalties helped keep Crestview's opening drive alive and offensive penalties stalled their own drives.

The Beavers could not muster enough plays to complete more than two series of plays. Usually, it was three-and-out for the first team offense.

It was the feet of the Rebel runners that extended the lead, but it was the work of the hands that catapulted Crestview to an early cushion on the scoreboard.

After driving down to the 6-yard line, tight-end Dimitri Gregory hauled in a touchdown pass with a little more than six-minutes left on the clock in the first quarter.

Gregory found the endzone again in the second quarter, when he easily brought in a Collin Gilbert lob pass to get the 20-yard touchdown.

Kicker Caleb McGath notched the PATs to make the score, 14-0, with about 11 minutes left until halftime.

The running attack, along with the flashes of aerial maneuvers didn't surprise Beaver Local's coaches, though.

"It was nothing we didn't prepare for," McElroy said. "We just didn't do our jobs. We must have not been ready to play."

Beaver Local did show some positive signs on the field.

Just before the half, Phillip Beohm, defensive back, pounced on a loose ball inside the redzone to halt a potential Rebel score.

Defensive end Andrew Travis tipped a screen pass to nearly cause a fumble and receiver Matt Sims made a nice jumping grab in the second quarter to keep a drive alive.

After Crestview put the game out of reach, Beaver running back Trevel Thompkins broke away for a huge touchdown run against the second-team. A botched extra-point conversion kept the score at 31-6.

"At times we hung tough," McElroy said. "We made plays at times, but we didn't execute enough,"

Crestview has now won 28-straight games against teams in the local East Liverpool coverage area dating back to 2003. The Beavers have dropped three of the 28 games.

The loss moves the Beavers to 1-1 on the season. Crestview moves to 2-0.



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web