Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Facebook | Twitter | Home RSS
 
 
 

Smoking likely cause of fire at Cleveland St. home

March 29, 2012
Salem News

SALEM - No injuries were reported after a couch caught fire on the second floor of a Cleveland Street home, forcing a family outside to safety early Wednesday.

According to a city fire department report, the probable cause was determined to be discarded smoking material. The resident told firefighters he was smoking in the second-floor room which was the point of origin one hour before the fire was discovered.

The resident said he tried to use an extinguisher and threw water on the fire to try to control it. He and his wife and child were out of the two-story house when firefighters arrived and extinguished the fire.

The call came in at 2:17 a.m. and firefighters remained on scene until 3:37 a.m., with the police department assisting with traffic control. The resident was listed as Paul McKormick, with Robert J. Bryan of Kensington listed as the owner. The home had a smoke detector, but for some reason it did not work.

Firefighters found light smoke on the first floor and heavy smoke and flames on the second floor when they arrived.

Damage was estimated at $15,000 for the property and $5,000 for the contents

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web